Eric and I have both had our share of issues with our rigs. He bought his from a dealer, and I bought mine from a private seller, so there are differences in how they were delivered. The dealer fixed a few items for him before the RV was delivered to him. I knew when I bought mine that there were a couple of issues.
The first thing I needed to have was a backup camera. There was no way I was going to try to drive that rig, especially towing a car, without a backup camera. After doing some research, I ended up buying a Garmin GPS especially for RV’s that had a wireless backup camera attachment. I needed a specialist to install it, though.
I also had a leak in the faucet in the shower – I knew that when I bought it. I needed a second battery installed, and one of the cabinets didn’t close right. The manual crank for the roof antenna had broken. But none of it was critical, and getting moved out of the house was a priority, so we didn’t initially make any arrangements for repairs.
And then we started smelling what seemed like someone’s septic tank. Our rigs were parked together at my house, so it was hard to tell which one was smelly. Eric thought the smell could possibly be propane, but we ultimately concluded that it was the septic on my rig. The smell was so bad that I knew I couldn’t live in it for a second like that. So we made arrangements to take my rig into the shop on the Monday before closing, figuring we would drive to the campground from the shop once the work was done.
The day before we took it in, we realized we hadn’t smelled the awful smell in a few days. Eric checked his propane and realized that he had none, and that’s when we suspected a propane leak in his rig. So they both went into the shop on the Monday before closing.
That trip to the shop cost me about $750. They installed the wireless camera, the second battery, and fixed the cabinet. To fix the faucet, they took it apart and reassembled it, but said they had no water to run through the rig to check it. They ordered a new part for the antenna crank. On Eric’s, they tightened up a connection on the propane, and declared it fixed.
So when we got to the campground and connected water, the faucet in the shower in my rig was still leaking, maybe worse than before, and the kitchen faucet was also leaking. And, Eric had a septic smell in his rig. The campground management recommended a mobile RV mechanic named Rick with Central Jersey RV Repair. Rick and his brother Kevin were wonderful. They came to the campground, fixed my two faucets and sealed Eric’s toilet. They installed a new digital antenna to replace the old analog one I had on the roof. And that repair was another $700.
Then, they told me that the roof of my RV needs to be re-sealed at a cost of about $2,500, and I need a new awning. Sheesh, it’s almost like the money pit that the house was! But the roof repair is critical – you never want any water leaks in the RV. They’re hard to locate, and the damage from a water leak can completely ruin the RV. And once they do that work, it’s warrantied for something like 12 years. I’m going to make arrangements to have it done in October.
This account doesn’t even go into the details of Eric’s multiple trips to the dealer regarding repairs to his slide-out, or the final resolution of his propane problem. Suffice it to say that we’re hoping we’re addressing all the repair issues now, so we don’t have any problems down the road.