The RV Life – First Days – Part Two

(See Part One for background)

Eric came home around 4 pm that day, and quickly confirmed that I was correct (yay!!):  we had no hose available which would fit into the Winterization outlet.  In addition, over the course of the day, I had noticed that the refrigerator began displaying the code “lo dc”, which was different than its previous display.  I looked it up in the manual and saw that it had to do with the electrical system – it seemed that the battery was low.  So I asked Eric about that as well.

Now, I have known Eric for a long time, and have always considered him to be an electrical expert, at least compared to most people.  After pondering and testing, he concluded that the converter was not working.  He said we needed to start the truck engine and let it run for a while to charge the batteries, and we needed to do this a few times every day until the problem was fixed.  Then he explained to me that this issue was absolutely urgent, that he could not solve it, and that we needed to call an RV mechanic, or take the rig to the local Camping World.  We got the name of a local mobile RV mechanic from the campground office, and immediately tried to contact him, but didn’t hear back.  Completely understandable, as it was a Sunday evening, but we hoped to hear from him first thing on Monday morning.

For the water issue, we would have to go to Camping World to see if we could find an appropriate hose.   Since Camping World was closing for the day, and I had to work the next day, Eric went to Camping World on Monday and bought a short hose with a fitting which matched the Winterization outlet.

Eric also asked Camping World if they could take my rig the next day to look at the converter problem, but they couldn’t.  Since we hadn’t heard from the first RV mechanic, Eric found the name of a second one, and called him.  He called the previous owner of my rig to see if he knew anything about the converter, and he also called the mechanic who had installed a second battery in my rig the previous week.  Despite all of these efforts, no progress was made on the electrical issue at all.  We still had to run the truck engine to charge the battery.

I had a dinner commitment that night, and we were feeling time pressure because Eric was leaving on a sailing trip on Wednesday.  So when I returned from dinner at 9:45 pm, we began working on getting the bleach solution into the water system.  It was a tedious process because the water pump wasn’t strong enough to really suck the bleach solution from the bucket.  We had to use a pitcher and pour the bleach solution into the hose.  In addition, we had to empty the hot water heater, which had a LOT of that smelly water in it.  Once we got the ten gallons of bleach solution in the system, we ran all faucets inside until we smelled bleach.  We then let it sit overnight to allow the bleach to kill whatever bacteria were in the “pipes”.    We finished around midnight.

The next day, we heard from the mechanic, and he met Eric at the rig that day (I was at work).  He found that two fuses in the converter were blown, and replaced them.  I still need to understand what might have caused that, how to recognize the problem if it happens again, and how to change the fuses.

Our plan that night, Tuesday, was to complete the water sanitization process.  Instead, I ended up on the phone with Verizon for almost two hours (see separate post on Connectivity) while Eric finished up the job.  Unfortunately, I didn’t observe the rest of the process and frankly I’m certain I wouldn’t be able to duplicate it if I needed to while off on my own somewhere.  I need a lesson.

Are we having fun yet??

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s